Friday, August 22, 2014

The Job Quest

     Now that we are just T-7 days away from leaving, I have started applying for some jobs.  I didn't want to start too early because I knew I wouldn't be available for interviews, but I am working on a couple of things now.
     To start, jobs at schools or government entities generally have a closing date for applications, so if I have seen something with a closing date near the time we are set to arrive in Charlotte, I have applied for the job.  I figure the time frame for interviews and hiring will be such that I will be up there by the time I might get a call.  In the interest of full disclosure, I will say that there has only been one job like this so far.
     Part-time jobs have been the other part of my focus.  Some income is always better than no income, so I would like to find a job of some sort as soon as possible.  The more money we have coming in, the less we will have to dip into our savings.  This is another time when I have been grateful for technology because I have been able to apply for all these jobs on the computer.  On a somewhat related note, aside from allowing you to upload a resume and cover letter, Barnes and Noble also has an option to link your Linkedin profile!  Of course, I did that step in an effort to show that yeah, I am all on top of the latest technology.  I'll continue to apply for part-time jobs when I get up to Charlotte because with the holidays just around the corner, there should be lots of places hiring extra help.   
     Another position I applied for was as an online writing tutor.  I am probably most qualified for that out of all the jobs I applied for, and working from home would have advantages like saving on time and gas.  I like interacting with people, though, and that is something I wouldn't have working online.
     There is one aspect of job hunting that makes me yearn for the old days, and that is the cover letter.  I remember when writing a letter that basically said, "Here is my resume for your review" was sufficient.  Well, those days are long gone.  Now it's all about getting someone's attention and selling yourself in the first few lines.  It's about tailoring every cover letter to specifically address the needed qualifications advertised in the job posting.
     I believe I have good writing skills, but I find writing a cover letter to be incredibly challenging.  I'm not sure exactly why that is.  Maybe it is because I have never thought of myself as a salesperson.  Maybe it is because I feel like I have to be too creative to put the right spin on what I'm saying.  Or maybe it is because I just over-think the whole damn thing!  It also doesn't help that when researching information on how to write a cover letter (and format a resume for that matter), there are so many differing opinions.  Who do you believe?  Who knows ... you just have to go with what makes sense to you, I guess.  Regardless, writing a cover letter is a very important part of the employment process now, so I must learn to do it and do it well.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of opportunities ahead, so by the time I'm gainfully employed, I may an expert on the subject.
     Since we are moving in the coming week, I am confident that I won't write another post until after we are settled in.   Until next time ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment