Sunday, August 17, 2014

Modern Technology, I Heart You!!!

     "Back in the day," communication that wasn't face-to-face had to be done by either snail mail or phone.  The internet, however, has changed that in such a profound way.  Today, we can accomplish so much online, and I, for one, am darn happy about it.  It makes so much of the moving process easier.
     Moving means having to let people know where you've gone, and in the past, that could have meant investing a lot of time in contacting the post office, magazine publishers, and a host of other people  and places.  Now, though, you can change your address online.  It's fast, easy, and efficient.
     While I'm all for the adventure of discovering a new place, there are some definite advantages to learning about the place to which you're moving before you get there.  I already know where our closest grocery store, Target, Walmart, and Walgreen's are.  I also know where the closest hiking trail is for those times I need a nature break stat.  On the last night of class this term, my students gave me a $50 gift card for Barnes and Noble.  I know where I can go spend it, and even better, the store has a book club.  The information about when the club meets and what they are reading for the next couple of months is on the B&N website, so I can show up prepared to not only join the club, but also discuss the month's book.  Not only do I know where these places are, I also know how far they are from our house and what routes I can take to get there.  I don't have to look up places in the telephone book, and then call for directions (which I'd have to write down), or try to find my route on a paper map.  Technology has put everything at my fingertips.
     Let's not forget that moving also means setting up utilities.  Since we are moving to a new city and from an apartment to a house, there are a number of entities I need to contact.  No problem.  Gas, water and garbage pick up, electricity, and cable an internet accounts are all set up, and I only had to make one phone call to accomplish that.
     I've done plenty of online research about Charlotte in advance of our move, and during my web surfing, I encountered a website called Charlotte on the Cheap (www.charlotteonthecheap.com).  I had already researched free activities around town in anticipation of having to live more frugally than normal for a while, but this website has that and more.  The site is tabbed by categories, some of which are food and drink and attractions and museums.  This categorization allows you to focus on what, in particular, you are looking for.  There is also a tab titled shopping, and under that category you can find local thrift shops and consignment stores, and ... wait for it ... a list (with map) of garage sales taking place during the coming weekend!  There are a number of things Mr. Weezy and I will need to purchase when we get to Charlotte, like a washer/dryer and lawnmower, simply because we are moving from an apartment into a house.  We are also going to have to purchase a dining table.  My elderly mother would never be able to make it up on one of our pub height stools; besides, the pub table we have only accommodates two people.  Thanks to Charlotte on the Cheap, I am confident we will be able to find these things at a reasonable price.
     So, is it any wonder I heart modern technology?  Although some may think finding out about a place  ahead of time detracts from the adventure of moving, I respectfully disagree.  Learning all Charlotte has to offer is increasing my anticipation while at the same time lessening my anxiety.
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment