Sunday, June 15, 2014

A Father's Legacy

     If this post has anything to do with learning new tricks, it would only be in relation to a decision my father made back in the 1970s that was maybe a harbinger of how fathers would begin to change their attitudes toward their daughters; they would be the old dogs learning new tricks.
     When I was 15 years old, I fell in love with motorcycles.  There was nothing I wanted more than to have my own bike.  This was back in 1976, when a learner's permit was all anyone in Florida needed to ride a motorcycle.  Since I had mine, nothing would keep me from riding, except of course my parents not allowing me to buy a motorcycle.
     My mother was a stay-at-home mom, and I pretty much went to her to ask for anything I wanted.  Part of that was due to the fact that she was always around; the other part was due to the fact that she said "yes" way more than my father did.  When I found out one of my friend's cousins was selling his Kawasaki 100, I saw my opportunity to become a motorcycle owner.  I went straight to my mom to ask her if I could buy the bike.  Without hesitation, she said, "Go ask your father."  Big sigh ... To me, that was the same thing as her saying, "When hell freezes over!"
     Still, I really wanted that motorcycle, so I approached my father and asked him if I could buy the bike.  He thought a moment, and then came back with, "Give me a few days to think about it."  That response caught me completely off guard as I was expecting a resounding, "Not in this lifetime!"  The answer wasn't "yes," but it wasn't "no" either, so I held out some hope.  Not much, but some.
     The few days passed, and my father told me he'd made his decision.  Here is how he framed his answer to me:  "If you were my son, I would allow you to buy the motorcycle.  The fact that you are my daughter is not a reason to say 'no,' so yes, you can buy the motorcycle."
     Holy crap, was I one happy adolescent!  I bought my motorcycle and spent many enjoyable hours riding it, including to school every day with a group of other kids who had bikes.  Of course, I was the only girl who rode a motorcycle to my high school, and I have to admit, I enjoyed that notoriety.
     I started spending time at a local shop that sold motorcycle accessories, and the guy who ran the shop introduced me to flat track racing and then road racing.  I would go along to the races with him (just to spectate, not participate), and man, did I ever love being at the track.  Still do.  And guess who I met for the first time at the track?  Yep--you guessed it:  Mr. Weezy!  He raced flat track back in the day, and I must say he was quite the bad ass.  He was fearless on the track.
     I am forever grateful to my father for making a decision that allowed me to pursue what has been a lifelong love of motorcycles.  But more than than, I am grateful for the incredible lesson he taught me when he explained why he was allowing me to buy my motorcycle:  Gender should never be an obstacle that prevents you from doing what you want to do.
     Thanks, Dad.  Miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment