Sunday, April 13, 2014

Nature Calls but so Does Work

     To pick up on the theme of the last post, I have a couple more things to say about my values and how they have contributed to my decision to quit my jobs and move to a new place.
     I love the outdoors and the natural world.  It would seem, then, that living in South Florida would be a great choice for me because the weather is certainly conducive to spending a lot of time outside.  Just being outside isn't quite enough for me, though.  I enjoy hiking especially, and there aren't really any nice places to do that in South Florida.  Everglades National Park is probably the closest place with any real trails, but it is easily a 1 1/2-hour drive from where we live, and to be honest, I am not a lover of the Everglades.  Perhaps because the time I've spent hiking, biking, and camping has been in the Midwest, I am partial to deciduous forests and freshwater lakes, rivers, and streams, which are things you won't find in the Everglades.  I would like to live somewhere where there is just more green space, whether that be parks, hiking trails, greenways, nature preserves, or whatever.  I think having more opportunity to get outside, move around, and just enjoy nature will increase my enjoyment of life.  
     Unfortunately, I can't just spend all my time traipsing around the woods; I also have to be gainfully employed.  Work is something I value.  I believe a job, whether it is paid or volunteer, can give us a sense of purpose.  It can also provide us with the opportunity to learn new things and meet new people, thereby allowing us to grow both personally and professionally.  But in order for a job to do these things, it has to be a good fit for the person in it, and my day job does not fit me well at all.
     I am goal oriented; the consummate list maker who feels a sense of accomplishment whenever I check something off my "to-do" list.  Consequently, I like working in a structured environment.  Unfortunately, where I work now is anything but structured.  The company has no mission or value statement.  No one has job descriptions or defined duties.  Without those things to guide me, I am never sure exactly what I am working toward.  Moreover, many tasks I am asked to do get interrupted by a newer, more important task and as a result, I never finish the original task.  I leave work every day feeling unhappy and unfulfilled.
     Now, I absolutely don't have to pull up stakes and move out of state to find a new job that would be better suited to my temperament and talents.  At least I don't think I do.  But again, I am looking to make a number of changes that together will lead to my living what I define as the best life for me (and Mr. Weezy and our two dogs).
     I saw a quote attributed to Nelson Mandela that has become my new mantra:  "May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears."
     Thank you, Mr. Mandela.  They most assuredly will.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment