Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Weight of the World

     Probably an exaggeration, but that is how I feel about incorporating weight training into my exercise regimen.  Actually, I think I'll call it strength training instead because the term "weight training" conjures up images of body builders for me, and that is not what I'm going for here.
     Six years ago, I tore a calf muscle while I was running.  The sports medicine doctor who treated my injury told me I should start doing some strength training to help prevent future running injuries.  Guess I should get on it, huh?  Not only haven't I done any regular strength training EVER, I haven't even been running regularly for the last two years.  No wonder I look frumpy for god's sake!!
     Just like I know eating well and getting regular cardio exercise is important for both physical and mental health, I understand how strength training fits into that equation.  It will help me avoid running injuries, but it will also ensure things like my continued ability to climb stairs and haul the groceries in from the car.  Oh, and pick up our dogs (about 12 and 14 pounds, respectively).  That's important stuff for old people to be able to do, dontcha think?  And since I'm considering physical appearance as it relates to increasing my chances of  finding a job, I think good posture, firmer abs, and some muscle tone will all be beneficial.
     As I mentioned in my last post, I believe in the argument that the best exercise for you is the one you will do regularly.  I enjoy running, I think because I have a short attention span, and it's difficult for me to have to follow what someone else is doing for very long. There are several other reasons I like running.  Maybe I'll write about those in the future.  You know, after I start running again and then remember what they are.  Ha!
     Anyway, I don't particularly enjoy working out with weights, so I expect this part of the exercise habit to be more challenging than the cardio part.  I have a DVD titled Ageless Body by Erin O'Brien, which is what I plan to use. Honestly, the DVD isn't that bad.  It is 40-45 minutes long, made for women, and works all your major muscle groups and your core.  Maybe when I get into the habit of doing it, it will seem even less bad.  And who knows, maybe I'll find other DVDs, or YouTube videos, or just written plans that I'll decide to experiment with.  However it works out, what I need is 3 days of cardio and 2 days of strength training per week.  Since I am teaching two nights a week after my regular job, I am left with just the 5 days I need.
     Of course, having a plan is one thing; implementing it is quite another; and following it through to the end is yet another.  For this whole big life change to work, though, I need to get my butt in gear.  And I mean that in the most literal sense.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment